Despite the fashion changes, there is one thing that has never fell out of trend, and will never be. It’s straight hair. Women from all around the world want to straighten it from time to time. It’s especially hard for ones with curly hair pattern. In this article we’re going to thoroughly show and advise you how to straighten hair of any type, without unwanted side effects, preserving its shine, beauty and health.
One of the most effective, simple and sure methods to get your hair straightened is chemical straightening. It provides immediate effect, and most of hair care professionals suggest doing it is their salons. But beware; this method spoils natural human hair. You’re at risk to lose your hair. For the first and second time everything may look just fine. On your third procedure your hair may split to its middle part and partly fall off. So, be extra careful and don’t perform that more than once on same hair tissue.
The reason of such side effect is in harmful strong chemical substances that are being used during chemical hair straightening. They ruin everything starting from pH balance to hair’s ability to retain the moisture and preserve hair shaft’s structure. In result, they split anywhere from hair root to hair end, and sometimes even fall off on their middle.
So, chemical straightening is strictly on your discretion, and preferably is a no-no. What else?
Natural Hair Straightening
As with all other hair care types, natural applies here, too. Methods that involve natural components, remedies and treatments preserve your initial hair health. Besides, they can even enhance the natural beauty of your hair, providing more shine, thickness, softness and manageability.
Besides natural treatments, there is even more “natural” way – do it yourself, or in other words homemade hair straightening. Of course, they don’t provide as long lasting effect as chemical treatment. But there is good news: you can do those as often as every 2nd or 3rd day. But please mind it – too often usage can also be detrimental. Don’t use daily.
Top 10 Natural Methods to Straighten Hair
As you already know from other sections of our website, coconut milk is very beneficial to hair, and you can perform great natural hair conditioning with it, providing moisturizing, soothing and shine. Now, we’re going to show you how to use it to straighten your hair.
The method :
- Take 1 lemon, and squeeze juice from it. Take 1 cup of raw coconut milk. Join and mix them.
- Use your fridge to cool the mixture down. This shouldn’t take more than 1-2 hours.
- Spread the resulting cream over your hair, and massage it into your hair and scalp, for around 15 minutes.
- Use a bath cap to cover your hair. Then cover your head with wet hot towel.
- Wait for half an hour. After that you can use light shampoo to wash the mixture off your hair.
- Use a wide-toothed comb to gently brush your hair while wet. After that let them dry naturally, being straight.
Aloe Vera Straightening
This plant can truly be called the magic remedy. It’s being used in many aspects of human health and beauty, including hair care procedures, like hair conditioning and hair masks. As with all other natural treatments, hair straightening is achieved by moisturizing capability of aloe vera.
Now, here’s the method for hair straightening:
- Take half of a cup of aloe vera juice, and pour it into same amount of warm oil that can be used for hair care. It can be coconut or olive oil.
- For better effect, nourishment and curative effects you can add a couple drops of some essential oil.
- Spread the blend over your hair, and massage your hair roots, scalp and whole hair volume for 5 minutes.
- Use bath cap to cover your hair, and additionally put on a hot dry towel. Wait for 1 hour.
- When that is done, use your light or natural shampoo to wash the treatment off.
- Gently comb your wet hair to straighten them further, and let it dry naturally.
Hot Hair Oil
This is one of the most preferred methods. Not only it will get you straight hair, it will also nourish your hair, moisturize it and provide some curative effect. That is because hair oils are organic in their nature, and contain vitamins and minerals. They often render a soothing and antibacterial effect.
You can use different oils for hot oil hair straightening. Those should preferably be: sesame, grapeseed, almond, coconut oils.
The method :
- Heat up the oil a little, to improve its liquid state. You can do that in the oven, or microwave. Don’t overheat.
- Spread the hot oil over your hair, and massage it in a little. Treat your scalp as well. This should take around 15 minutes.
- Run your fingers through your hair to detangle. Then use a wide-toothed comb to brush your hair – this motion provides straightness, and saves you from breaking hair shaft later on.
- Wrap your hair into a hot dry towel, and leave it on for half an hour.
- Use a light shampoo to wash the oil off. Don’t spend more time for washing than it’s necessary.
- Soak the excess water with a bath towel. Don’t let your hair dry naturally – use your comb to straighten your hair even more. The motions should be very slight, to avoid hair breakage.
- After that, let your hair dry naturally.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one more kitchen stuff ingredient that is widely known as hair care remedy. The vinegar is useful because of its nutritional value, acid nature, cleansing and curative properties. It’s being used for hair washing, conditioning, and rinsing.
Here’s one more recipe how to use it for straight hair:
- Take a cup of water, and add there a couple of spoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Rinse your hair with that essence after hair washing or conditioning.
- After that, let your hair dry naturally to make them straight
This may sound strange but beer is also a hair treatment solution. It’s rich in nutrients like proteins, fats, vitamins. It also has moisturizing capability, and provides a soothing and softening result to human hair. It ensures better shine and quite a good cleansing of oily build-up near the hair roots.
- Pour 1 cup of beer into a pot, and heat it until boiling point. Then reduce power and let it slowly boil out to a 50% of initial volume.
- Then let it cool down. Add it to your moderate to light shampoo 1-time portion.
- This mixture can be used as a regular hair shampoo now.
- If you feel uneasy about such mixing, just apply the cooled beer straight to your hair. Spread it evenly, and rinse off when some time is passed.
- Comb your hair while wet, and let it dry naturally to have straight hair.
Leaves of Celery
Celery is a good natural handmade remedy for faster hair growth. It also can be used for straightening.
- Cut the celery leaves into small pieces
- Put them in a cup of water, and strain our the juice thoroughly
- Put that juice into a fridge to let it star for a couple of days. You can pour it into a spray bottle for ease of use
- After that it’s ready to be sprayed onto your hair
- Do that to make your hair wet. Massage your hair and scalp for 5 minutes
- Cover your hair with a bath cap, wait for half an hour
- Then rinse the treatment off
- Comb your hair while still wet, to straighten it. Then let it air-dry.
Other Straightening Options
Other additional hair straightening natural remedies include the below listed. The main rule for their application is to make a liquid essence of them with corresponding satellite product, like lemon, or oil. The main principle of using those is to make your hair wet, while at the same time softening it to possible maximum. Then – comb wet hair to straighten it, and finally let it naturally dry.
If the resulting moisture is not of rinsing nature – you need to rinse it off before combing your wet hair. Here’s the list:
- Olive oil
- Essential oils mixed with some carrier oil
- Fuller’s Earth
- Castor Oil
Please make a note that hair washing and application of some mixture or treatment won’t straighten your hair. It will just smooth it and moisturize, and thus – prepare it for straightening procedure.
When you’re drying your hair with a towel – either move it slowly downwards, or just wrap hair with a towel and don’t move it at all. This way you’ll set yourself free from getting curls again.
Don’t use blower. It’s unnatural, and leaves your hair cuticle open, leaving your hair to dry out further. You definitely don’t want your hair to become brittle. It you’re really in a hurry, set the blower to lowest possible temperature and air speed, point it to the direction of hair growth – from roots to ends. Dry as little as necessary – if you can go outside with slightly damp hair, stop blow-drying at that point. This way you’ll save your hair as much as possible from the damage.
If your hair hardly accepts straightening procedures, with a little straightening effect – please think not to push to the limits. It’s always better to be a little wavy than to receive straight hair, and damage it. Believe me; you’ll be cursing the day when you decided to damage your hair, waiting for years while it regrows to the point where you can see that it’s healthy again.
If you’re going to use heat straightening irons, use thermal protectant before the procedure. Pretty self-explanatory, as we think 🙂 Also – use the least possible temperature.
It’s always good to treat your hair in sections. Same applies to hair straightening. Whatever procedure you do, if your hair has large volume, and is long – section it into 4-5 parts.
This is pretty much everything that you need to know about how to naturally straighten hair. These methods may be not the most effective, but they are risk-free. They will not cause you any side effects, and additionally they will nourish your hair strands, soothe scalp and ensure better health, strength, and shine to your hair.